10.3 C
Canberra
Wednesday, March 3, 2021

WorkSafe inspectors in Denman Prospect today

WorkSafe ACT inspectors will be out and about in Denman Prospect today focusing on the construction industry, after a number of issues were discovered at sites across the Territory in recent months.

“Today is the third time WorkSafe ACT has been out to Denman Prospect as part of Operation Safe Prospect, which began in August 2020 and will continue over the next three years,” said Workplace Safety Minister, Mick Gentleman.

“Our inspectors have conducted eight Operation Safe Prospect inspections the five greenfields suburbs of Denman Prospect, Watson, Ginninderry, Taylor and Throsby.

“They visited 174 workplaces, issuing 210 improvement, 62 prohibition and 14 infringement notices.”

Mr Gentleman said WorkSafe ACT has seen consistent issues at residential construction sites during the crackdown on safety, which include: risk of falls from height; site security; lack of signage; lack of basic facilities; risk of slips, trips and falls; and not following safe work method statements.

“Unfortunately, we are still seeing regular non-compliance and minimal improvement across the industry,” Minister Gentleman said.

“My clear message to the construction industry is that we need your help to ensure the ACT’s work sites are safe.”

ACT Work Health and Safety Commissioner Jacqueline Agius said in December last year it was time for the construction industry to “get real” about work health and safety.

“Through Operation Safe Prospect we will continue visiting and re-visiting greenfield sites across Canberra and we will be making sure that workers WHS obligations are complied with.”

Last year, two fatalities occurred on ACT construction sites, both in the suburb of Denman Prospect. A 47-year-old worker died on a site on 11 January and a 60-year-old worker died on another site on 4 February.   

For more news: