Get inspired for your winter weeknight meals! This week, food writer Libby Kimber shares two easy mid-week meals that will warm and nourish.
Thai chicken burgers
Serves: 4 | Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 15 mins
- 500g chicken mince
- 2 Tbsp red curry paste
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Leafy greens
- Sprinkle of chopped peanuts
- Combine all the ingredients into one bowl. Shape into eight patties. Shallow fry on a low-medium heat for around six minutes each side.
- Serve with a leafy green salad, cucumber, carrot and chopped peanuts.
Recipe and image from The Long Life Plan, New Holland Publishers, RRP $35, available from all good book retailers or online newhollandpublishers.com
Pecan, broccolini and salmon grain bowl
Serves: 2 | Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 10 mins
- 2 x 100g skinless salmon fillets
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 1/2 cup (60g) pecans, lightly toasted
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp almond butter
- 2 tsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- Whisk together almond butter, soy sauce, miso paste and syrup. Whisk in lime juice until smooth. Dressing will thicken as it sits, thin with water if desired.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Drizzle salmon with oil and cook approximately 3 minutes per side, or until cooked to your liking. Remove salmon from pan and set aside to rest. Roughly flake when cool enough to handle.
- Wipe skilllet, fill about half way with water and return to heat. Add broccolini and simmer for a few minutes, until bright green and tender-crisp. Refresh under cold water.
- Roughly chop half the pecans and stir through rice, divide into two bowls. Top rice with salmon, broccolini, orange, radish, and remaining pecans. Drizzle with dressing, sprinkle with sliced spring onion.
Recipe and image by Jennifer Jenner for Nuts for Life | nutsforlife.com.au