Winter is peak house fire season and ACT Fire & Rescue (ACTF&R) is urging Canberrans to be aware of common causes of home fires, and to take simple steps to be prepared, including:
- Test electrical appliances and devices, including electric blankets.
- Clean filters in ducted and reverse cycle heaters and dryers.
- Keep clothes clear of heaters and excess bedding off electric blankets. Turn off when not being used.
- Keep watch on common causes of fire including cooking, open flames and children.
- Always switch off sources of heating when sleeping or leaving the house.
- Put out sources of fire when not in use.
It is also important to ensure you have a working smoke alarm and those living in your household know their Home Fire Escape Plan.
For more information and tips on how to prepare your home and ensure your safety during winter, visit www.esa.act.gov.au
For more stories: