Cool down this summer with a delicious, fruity salad, brought to you by our food writer Libby Kimber.
Blackberry kale salad with fried halloumi
Blackberry kale salad
- 1 small bunch kale, stems removed and leaves cut into ribbons or torn finely
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 red onion, very finely sliced
- 1/3 cup Meg’s chilli chive mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp of toasted pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds for sprinkling
- 1 packet of firm halloumi
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 punnet of fresh blackberries
Meg’s chilli chive mayonnaise
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 250-300ml grapeseed or canola oil (must be light flavoured)
- 3 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 tsp finely chopped red chilli
- 1/4 tsp of dried cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
For the mayonnaise, place the yolks and mustard in a food processor and blend until the ingredients are light and creamy. While blending, gradually add about half the oil in a slow steady stream until thick and pale in consistency. Once half of the oil is combined, add the vinegar – this will loosen the mixture slightly and give it a paler colour. Continue to gradually add the remaining oil.
Towards the end add the flavouring highlights – honey, fresh lemon juice (or to taste), finely chopped red chilli, cayenne pepper and chopped chives. Season with a generous pinch of salt, a small dash of white pepper and if needed, a little more vinegar. Blend until well mixed.
For the salad, place all salad ingredients in a big bowl – kale, cabbage, onion and chilli chive mayonnaise. Toss well.
Gently toast your seeds in a pan over medium heat, continuously tossing until golden.
Slice the halloumi to 1cm thick pieces, add some olive oil to the pan and gently cook for 3 minutes on both sides or until golden brown.
Top salad with fried halloumi, fresh blackberries and a good sprinkle of seeds.
Recipe and image by Megann Evans for Fresh Aussie Berries.
Immune boosting papaya and chicken salad
- 1/2 Australian papaya, sliced
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 200g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup mint
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 cos lettuce, shredded
- 1 BBQ chicken with skin and bones removed and shredded
- 100g Greek feta, crumbed
- Cook quinoa according to directions on the packet.
In a bowl, toss cherry tomatoes, avocado and mint with lime zest and olive oil. Leave to marinate.
Place shredded lettuce in bowl. Scatter chicken and quinoa on top. Toss through tomato, avocado and mint mix. Place papaya slices on top of salad. Crumble feta over the top and serve.
Recipe by dietitian Caitlin Reid for Papaya Australia.
For more recipes: