With bathrooms set to steal the show from kitchens this year, Highgrove Bathrooms gave us their 2019 trend predictions for bold, luxurious bathroom spaces.
- Brushed brass finishes: The embodiment of modern elegance, brushed brass finishes are undoubtedly making a comeback and will continue well into 2019. Suited to most colour schemes, but especially darker palettes, the warm, burnished tones and earthy industrial sheen of brushed brass give a luxe appeal to your bathroom, instantly adding value and a ‘no expense spared’ look and feel to your home. It’s a classic, timeless finish that will stand the test of time.
- Dark, bold colours: For those looking to move with the times and make a bold statement, darker colours is an emerging trend not to be missed. In particular, bathroom-ware and accessories in a deep forest green and striking navy will soon dominate new bathroom interiors. Whether you’re looking to splash some vivid colour with a vanity, plush towels, cabinetry or statement wall, bold colours will deliver the atmosphere you want.
- Concrete: Introducing a new and unique texture to your bathroom will transform the look and feel of the space dramatically. A concrete finish has a bespoke look and is fast becoming an interior design favourite. Consider bringing concrete textures into your bathroom by pairing a concrete basin with a timber vanity top or matte black tapware for a contemporary look.
- Mirrors: Bringing that five-star feel to your bathroom is a must, and what better way to do that than with LED mirrors? The streamlined look of an integrated LED mirror oozes a sense of luxury while brightening up your bathroom with dedicated task lighting and creating the illusion of more space. If the bright lights aren’t quite calling your name, opt for round or oblong mirrors instead. The curved profile of a round mirror can soften the overall look of your bathroom. With an elongated oblong mirror above the vanity, you’ll be able to create the illusion of a higher ceiling.
Andy Grigor, Head of Design and Innovation at tapware designer and manufacturer Methven, says the ‘industrial look’ will remain strong in bathroom design. He gave us his top give bathroom design predictions for 2019:
- Materials: Concrete, whether it’s porous and unrefined or smooth and sanded, is growing in popularity with a strong nod to the use of urban industrial materials. We are seeing concrete being used with increasing popularity for floors and walls and even whole basins.
- Natural: Natural materials, such as wood, work to balance and create softness, and perfectly complement the industrial theme. The use of reclaimed wood gives a great rustic and worn-in charm while creating warmth and softness in juxtaposition with the colder industrial materials such as metal and concrete.
- Black: While bathroom design is calling on industrial influences, there is a softer approach to the concept in bathrooms with the use of more modern materials such as matte black finishes. Matte black tapware is very popular due to its ability to pair so well with other current design and style trends.
- Metals: With reference to the urban city and industrial work spaces, the use of metals remains strong in bathrooms, with warmer tones such as copper, gold and bronze used as eye-catching features. These metals suggest a touch of luxury against the industrial theme.
- Pops of colour: Another trend that’s continuing into 2019 is the mid-century Miami look, with a focus on soft colours and dusty pastels such as mint and powder pink. Classic 1950s patterns are also popular on tiles and textiles, as well as mid-century curves making a comeback. Pale wood can also beautifully complement the mid-century Miami colours.