27.5 C
Canberra
Sunday, February 28, 2021
Ian Cubitt's
Ian Cubitt's

Steel announces early rollout of free bulky waste collections across ACT

Plans to slowly trickle free bulky waste collections throughout the ACT over four years were abandoned today, with Minister for City Services Chris Steel announcing an early rollout across the Territory.

“By mid-2021, all Canberra households will be able to take advantage of a free bulky waste collection each year of up to two cubic metres of items such as old furniture and household appliances,” he said.

More than 600 tonnes of material was collected in Tuggeranong and Gungahlin since the service started in July 2020, and Mr Steel said households in Forde, Bonner, Gowrie, Conder, Fadden, Macarthur, Theodore, Amaroo, Wanniassa and Calwell were the most enthusiastic.

Over the last seven months, 40% of bulky waste collected was handed to Canberra charities, and items including furniture, bikes and gardening equipment were rehomed.

“We also know that over the last three months alone, more than 1,800 pieces of furniture, 400 appliances, 275 electrical items and 250 pieces of outdoor equipment have been rescued,” Mr Steel said.

The arrangement provides more for vulnerable Canberrans and diverts waste from landfill.

“Waste is something we create when we don’t use resources to their full potential and some of the bulky items people no longer have a use for in their homes have a new purpose to serve.”

According to the previous schedule, the Inner North and Inner South households weren’t going to see the service in their suburbs until the 2023-24 financial year.

Woden Valley and Weston Creek would have had to wait until 2022-23, and Belconnen, Molonglo and Hall were next in line with bulky waste collections previously planned to commence in 2021-22. 

The existing service for concession card holders is still available in all ACT suburbs.

Not all bulky waste is eligible for collection. According to City Services, materials such as sheet glass, mirrors, gas bottles, asbestos, construction rubble and tyres must be disposed of by other means.

Mattresses and ensembles attract a fee of $25 per mattress and $25 per bed base or ensemble.

For more local news:

Ian Cubitt's
Ian Cubitt's