Everyone loves this time of year; the weather is starting to warm up (some days) and we can get outside and enjoy the sunshine and fresh air. I also look at this time of year as a health and fitness re-boot, so this week, let’s focus on body weight training, eating fresh and nourishing foods and making sure we get enough rest.
Try and eat a clean meal every day – stick to fresh seasonal fruit and vegetables, this will help your overall health and load up your body with fibre and nutrients. You can also try to get out for a quick walk during your lunch break/downtime to enjoy the fresh air.
For the exercises, I’ve selected a few areas to focus on: lower body, core, upper body and cardio. To start, combine one exercise from each area for an awesome workout. Remember to warm up for 10 minutes before every session and go slow and steady to make sure you’re practising correct and safe movements.
Select one exercise from each area (listed below), and do 10 reps, followed by a one-minute walk to cool down. Repeat this five times.
- Alternate jumping (left to right)
- Toe taps
- Elbow sit-ups
- Hanging knee raises (keep your knees together)
- Alternate twist sit-ups (feet on the ground, twist left to right)
- Fingers to knee sit-ups
- Shoulder punches (above your head)
- Alternate push-ups (one hand forward, one hand back)
- Shoulder shrugs (lift your shoulder to your ears and roll them backwards)
- Standing bicep curls (with dumbbell)
- Walk 200m, jog 200m over 2km
- 50m sprints, walk back recovery
- 10-20 mins on spin bike
- Hill walking
- Swim one length of the pool, get out and walk back, swim again
- Toe taps