This week, food writer Libby Kimber brings you some tasty recipes to make this Summer! Featuring some delicious bruffins and salad bowls.
Recipes from SuperFastDiet by Victoria Black and Gen Davidson, published by Macmillan Australia, RRP $34.99, Photography by Rob Palmer.
Date and blueberry bruffins
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 bicarbonate of soda
- 50g pitted medjool dates, finely chopped
- 2 x 120g tubs unsweetened apple puree
- 125g blueberries
- 300g Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line six holes of a 3/4 cup muffin tin with paper cases.
Place the flour, bicarbonate of soda and dates in a bowl and rub with your fingers to mix well, making sure the date pieces don’t clump together and each piece is coated in flour.
Fold in the apple puree, blueberries and yoghurt until the mixture is just combined – don’t overmix or your bruffins will be tough. Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin holes.
Bake the bruffins for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Immediately brush the tops with the maple syrup, then rest in the tin for 5 minutes. Serve warm, or cool and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Peanut butter chicken salad bowls
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 400g lean chicken breast fillets, diced
- 1 Tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 cups mixed salad leaves
- 1/2 cup small coriander sprigs
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled into long thin ribbons
- 200 g snow peas, trimmed and cut into thick strips
- 1 carrot, cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 2 limes, zest finely grated, limes cut in half
To make the salad bowls, divide the mixed salad leaves evenly among serving bowls. Top with (placing them in separate sections) the coriander, cucumber, snow peas, carrot and coconut. Sprinkle the lime zest over the top and place the lime around the edge. Set aside.
Heat a large non-stick wok over high heat. Add the oil, spring onion and turmeric and stir-fry for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the chicken and stir-fry for 4 minutes or until cooked and golden. Add the peanut butter, soy sauce and ¼ cup (60 ml) water and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until the sauce is well combined and reduced by half. Divide the chicken mixture evenly among the salad bowls and serve.