A man was taken to hospital with stab wounds to his stomach and a 21-year-old man was taken into custody following a stabbing incident outside a nightclub in Civic in the early hours of Anzac Day, 25 April.
ACT Policing is investigating the stabbing that occurred in Petrie Plaza, Canberra City, early Sunday morning, 25 April.
About 2.55am police received a report of a disturbance outside a nightclub, and upon arrival discovered a man with a stab wound to the stomach.
A crime scene was established, investigations commenced and about 3.25am a 21-year-old man was taken into custody nearby.
He is now helping police with their enquiries.
ACT Ambulance paramedics transported the victim to hospital for treatment to his injuries.
Police have spoken to several witnesses, and it is likely other people in the area at the time will have information that may help the investigation. Police are urging anyone who saw the incident or captured video of it, who has not yet spoken to police, to contact ACT Policing operations on 131 444. Please quote reference 6783522.
Police made several other arrests overnight in Civic, including:
- A 33-year-old Kaleen woman for breach of the peace
- A 20-year-old Gilmore man for assaulting a frontline community service provider
- A 22-year-old Blue Haven (NSW) man for obstructing/resisting a Territory public official
- A 21-year-old Kaleen man for resisting a Territory public official
- A 15-year-old girl for two counts of assaulting a frontline community service provider
ACT Policing reminds anyone who chooses to drink this Anzac Day long weekend, to do it responsibly, not to drive and find an alternative way home.
For more news:
- Police seeking driver involved in collision with cyclist
- Offender in cat boarding house burglary identified
- $100 million government funding to improve health of Australian oceans
- COVID-19 cost more in 2020 than the world’s combined natural disasters in any of the past 20 years
- ACT’s Roeger breaks world record ahead of Paralympics