Food writer Libby Kimber is here to ensure you ride out the rest of those winter weeknights with a delicious plate of noodles.
Quick and easy ramen noodles
Image and recipe from Super Green Super Easy by Sally Obermeder and Maha Corbett (Allen & Unwin, RRP $24.99). Photography by Rob Palmer.
- 90g ramen noodles
- 1 x 10g sachet vegan dashi (we use kombu shiitake dashi, found at specialty grocers and delis)
- 250ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp miso paste
- 8–10 snow peas, trimmed
- 45g (1/2 cup) sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 40g (1/2 cup) shimeji mushrooms (or any other variety)
- 1 large spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli and garlic paste (jar variety from the supermarket)
- 1 baby bok choy, trimmed, sliced lengthways
- Soft-boiled egg
- Coriander leaves
- Bean sprouts
- A drizzle of sesame oil
- Sesame seeds
- A wedge of lime
- Freshly sliced chilli
Cook the ramen noodles according to the packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
Next, add the dashi to 250ml (1 cup) of water and whisk with a fork until dissolved. Pour into a saucepan, add the stock and miso paste and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, mixing well with a wooden spoon to ensure the miso paste is fully dissolved. Taste and, if you find it too salty, add an extra 3 tablespoons of water.
Add the snow peas, mushrooms, spring onion and chilli and garlic paste to the broth and simmer for 3–4 minutes until the snow peas are tender-crisp and the mushrooms have softened a little. Stir in the bok choy and cook until just wilted.
Pop the noodles into a bowl and pour the broth and veggies over the top. Serve with the desired toppings.
Tangy salad with cold noodles
Image and text from Chinese Food Made Easy by Ross Dobson, photography by Lisa Linder, Murdoch Books RRP $39.99.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 5 mins
Serves 4 (to share)
- 3 Tbsp Chinese black vinegar
- 3 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 300g wheat noodles
- Small bunch coriander, leaves and stems roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
Combine the vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and white sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
Cook the noodles in boiling water for 2–3 minutes until tender. Rinse under cold water and drain well.
Combine the noodles in a large bowl with the dressing, coriander and spring onions. Toss to combine and transfer to a serving plate.
For more recipes: