Avocado salad with macadamia and avocado pesto
Recipe by Luke Hines for Australian Avocados.
- 2 Shepard avocados, halved
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways and thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 120g (2 cups) alfalfa sprouts
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp macadamia nuts, toasted
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Avocado and macadamia pesto
Makes about 250g (1 cup)
- 1 Shepard avocado
- 1 bunch of flat-leaf parsley, leaves and stalks roughly chopped
- 1 bunch of coriander or mint leaves
- 125ml (1/2 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp macadamia nuts
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Generous pinch of sea salt
For the pesto, add all the ingredients to a food processor or high-speed blender and blitz until well combined.
To serve, place a spoonful or two of the pesto in the centre of each serving plate and spread it out a little with the back of the spoon. (Any leftover pesto will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week and makes a great dip for roasted veg or a topping for pizzas.)
Thinly slice the avocado halves and arrange them evenly over the pesto. Top with the cucumber, radish and alfalfa sprouts, drizzle over the extra-virgin olive oil and scatter over the macadamia nuts to finish. Season well with salt and pepper and enjoy.
Green bean salad with tahini, preserved lemon and pine nuts
This is an extract from Simply: Easy Everyday Dishes from the Bestselling Author of Persiana, Sabrina Ghayour (Hachette Australia, RRP $32.99), out now.
- 400g ﬁne green beans
- 2 preserved lemons
- 1 fat garlic clove, minced
- Generous squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 3 Tbsp warm water
- Handful of pine nuts
- Freshly ground black pepper
Cook the green beans in a saucepan of boiling water for about 10–12 minutes, or according to the packet instructions – the timing will vary depending on their variety and thickness. Drain and rinse under cold running water until cool, then drain well and dry on kitchen paper.
Cut the preserved lemons in half and thinly slice them into half moons. Set aside.
Put the garlic into a small bowl with the lemon juice. Add the tahini and then mix in the warm water to loosen the mixture – don’t use cold water, or the mixture will seize.
Place the green beans in a mixing bowl and pour the dressing over. Add the preserved lemon slices and season with a generous amount of pepper, then transfer to a plate and scatter with the pine nuts before serving.