Easter leftovers? No worries! Whip up something delicious from your leftover chocolate and hot cross buns, and enjoy these together as a treat.
Easter egg hot chocolate
- 400ml (scant 1 3/4 cups) sweetened soy milk
- 100g dark chocolate (ensure dairy-free), broken into even pieces
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- Juice of 1/2 unwaxed orange
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Heat the soy milk, chocolate, and sugar in a large saucepan over a low–medium heat for 4–5 minutes until the chocolate has melted, whisking throughout.
- Whisk in the orange juice, cinnamon and nutmeg until gently frothy.
- Pour into mugs and serve hot.
This is an edited extract from 15 Minute Vegan on a Budget by Katy Beskow published by Hardie Grant Books $29.99 and is available in stores nationally. Photographer: Dan Jones.
Hot cross bun pudding with chocolate
Serves: 8 | Prep: 20 mins, plus soaking time | Cook: 55 mins
- 8 Western Star hot cross buns
- 50g Western Star spreadable original
- 100g 70% cocoa dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 350ml Western Star thickened cream, plus extra to serve
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 60ml orange juice
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Grease an 8 cup-capacity round baking dish. Split buns through the centre. Spread Western Star Spreadable on each bun half and place base of buns into prepared pan. Sprinkle chocolate over buns.
- Pour cream and vanilla into a saucepan and place over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until hot. Whisk milk, eggs, sugar and orange juice in a large bowl. Add warm cream. Pour mixture through a fine sieve over bun bases. Place bun tops over bases and set aside for 15 minutes for buns to soften in the custard mixture.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place baking dish into a large roasting pan and pour enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of baking dish. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the custard is just set in the centre (there will still be a slight wobble, but this will thicken on standing).
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with a drizzle of the extra thickened cream.
Recipe created for Western Star as featured on myfoodbook.com.au