We can’t get enough of linen this season! Cool, relaxed and comfortable, linen is the ultimate summer textile for a natural look. Bedding brand Bed Threads gave us the linen lowdown:
1. Highly absorbent: Due to its molecular structure, linen can absorb up to 20% of its weight in moisture before feeling damp. It allows more airflow and is less likely to cling to the skin. Perspiration is absorbed and wicked away from the skin and quickly evaporates.
2. Temperature-regulating: On a hot and muggy summer night or a freezing winter morning, linen regulates the skin-air heat exchange like no other fabric. It also gets softer with each wash.
3. Hypo-allergenic: Linen sheets are a wonderful option for those with skin disorders or sensitivities, and create a healthy microclimate for the skin.
4. Strong: Linen is substantially stronger than cotton; it is the world’s strongest fibre. Properly cared for, it can last for decades.
5. Resistant: Linen is resistant to bacteria, fungus, dust mites and is naturally insect-repellent.
6. Repellent: It’s lint-free, dirt-repellent and anti-static, and can even help soften and preserve the skin due to its natural PH balance.
7. Historical: Linen is one of the oldest known fibres; the linen industry was established by the ancient Egyptians.
8. Cheap massage. Strangely enough, linen actually gives you a bit of a light massage as you sleep due to the microscopic “breaks” throughout the textured fabric.
9. Comfortable: Linen is super comfortable and soft!