One of the Canberra region’s oldest buildings is set to be renovated.
St John’s Anglican Church, Reid, which dates back to the earliest days of European settlement in this area, will be getting a new Welsh slate roof.
In 1960, deteriorating timber shingles were replaced by asbestos roof tiles.
It’s at the point now where just one storm event of biblical proportions could render the church unusable, as no repair work can be carried out on the asbestos tiles.
The surface area of the tiles is also at risk of breaking down with the potential of releasing asbestos into the environment.
Now, almost 60 years on, the replacement of the church roof has commenced at a projected cost of over $300,000.
Construction on the church was begun in 1841 and was consecrated in 1845 by the Right Reverend William Grant Broughton. It was extended between 1872 and 1874. Canberra Day 2020 will be the 175th anniversary of its consecration.
The materials used for the church were almost entirely local with the stone coming from Mount Pleasant and Black Mountain.