The winter months are no excuse for you to neglect your fruit intake. This week, CW food writer Libby Kimber brings you two fruity winter dishes for all occasions.
Spicy pork tacos with pineapple salsa
Makes: 8 tacos | Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 25 mins
- 350g pork fillet
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp peri peri seasoning
- 1 small pineapple
- 1/4 small red onion
- Small handful freshly chopped coriander
- 1/2 red long chili
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- Good pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small avocado
- 1 lime
- 8 mini tortillas
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Drizzle the pork with olive oil and sprinkle with peri peri spice mix, rubbing it well into the meat. You can cut the fillet in half to allow it to fit into the pan.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat and sear the pork for 5-6 minutes on each side, turning regularly. When the meat is done, allow it to rest wrapped in aluminium foil for 5 minutes.
- Peel, core and finely dice the pineapple. Peel and finely slice the onion. Cut the chilli in half, remove the seeds and finely dice the flesh. Finely chop the coriander. Combine the pineapple, onion, chilli and coriander in a bowl and season with apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Scoop avocado flesh into a small bowl and drizzle with juice from half a lime. Cut remaining lime half into wedges and reserve for serving. Heat tortillas wrapped in aluminium foil in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Once the pork has rested, slice it into 5mm thin slices.
- To serve, top each tortilla with a spoonful of avocado, 4-5 slices of pork and a generous topping of pineapple salsa. Serve lime wedge on the side.
Passionfruit self-saucing pudding
Serves: 6-8 | Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 30 mins
- 1 1/2 cups (205g) self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup (25g) almond meal
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (60g) butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup passionfruit pulp (7-8 fresh passionfruit)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) orange juice
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
- 1/4 cup (60g) brown sugar, lightly packed
- Extra passionfruit
- Cream, ice cream or custard
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly coat a 2L baking dish with cooking oil spray and place on a rimmed oven tray.
- Stir flour, almond meal, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Make a well in the centre, add milk, butter, and egg, and stir to combine. Spoon batter into the prepared dish and spread into a thin layer.
- Stir passionfruit pulp, orange juice, boiling water and brown sugar in a jug. Pour liquid over a large spoon so the liquid floats on top of the batter. Do not stir.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until pudding is golden on top and firm to the touch in the centre. Serve warm with extra passionfruit, and cream, custard or ice cream if desired.
Recipe and image courtesy of Australian Passionfruit [aussiepassionfruit.com.au]
For more recipes: