Fit a satisfying dinner into the family’s busy schedule. CW food writer Fiona Williams shares a healthier (and tastier) take on delicious dinner options the whole family will love.
Image and recipe from Nude Nutritionist by Lyndi Cohen, Murdoch Books, RRP $35. Photography by Cath Muscat, Leah Stanistreet & Luca Prodigo.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 500g jar of tomato paste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4-6 wholemeal flatbread rounds
- Rocket (arugula) leaves, to serve
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1/4 cup (40g) sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (40g) Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup (75g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups (250g) shredded mozzarella cheese
Sweet pumpkin topping
- 1/4 cup chopped pumpkin
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- 1/3 cup (50g) crumbled feta cheese (add after cooking)
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Mix the tomato paste with the oregano and garlic. Spread the tomato paste evenly on one side of each flatbread round. Add your preferred toppings. Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown. Add the feta cheese, if using, and serve with the rocket leaves scattered over the top or on the side as a salad.
Spinach and roasted garlic mashed cauliflower
Recipe courtesy of Califia Farms www.califiafarms.com
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 Tbsp (plus 2 tsp) olive oil, divided
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 cups Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 container (140g) baby spinach
- Fine sea salt to taste
Preheat the oven to 200oC. Cut off the top 1/3 of the garlic heads and place on a double layer of foil. Drizzle with two tablespoons oil, wrap tightly, and roast until very tender, about 45 minutes. When garlic is done, in a large saucepan combine cauliflower and almond milk. Cover, bring to a boil and cook until very tender, about 10 minutes. While cauliflower cooks, in a medium skillet heat remaining two teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add spinach and cook, stirring until wilted. Transfer to a colander and press lightly with spatula to drain off any liquid. Squeeze roasted garlic cloves into pot with cauliflower, and add spinach. Use an immersion blender to puree cauliflower (or transfer cauliflower, spinach and garlic to food processor and process until smooth). Add salt to taste.