Over 74 bags of rubbish were collected on Clean-up Lake Burley Griffin Day (9 December), with nearly 100 volunteers taking to the shores to lend a hand; 32 volunteers brought kayaks to clean up on the water.
Of the rubbish collected, most was food and drink packaging. The team found plenty of cigarette butts, mostly around the Kingston Foreshore and National Museum of Australia areas, and lots of balls were found between Lotus Bay and Weston Park.
Only one plastic bag was recorded, while sharps were located at three of the six sites, some already in appropriate disposable containers.
Other curious finds included: tyres, an inflatable boat, broken windscreens, a bicycle, large industrial, unknown plastic pieces, clothing, a sleeping bag, a chair, egg crates and an inflatable mattress.
Paying fines with food
Libraries ACT is giving Canberrans the chance to pay their overdue library fees with a donation. The ‘Food for Fines’ program allows people to return their overdue library books, and donate non-perishable food items in exchange for fines being removed from their membership records.
All the food collected will be donated to OzHarvest Canberra who provide food to dozens of charities in the ACT to support those in need. Only non-perishable, sealed food items will be accepted.
Donations must be made in person and during library opening hours, to ensure the removal of fines. Donations can be made up until 2pm on Monday 24 December at any of the ACT’s public libraries.
For more information, visit library.act.gov.au
To find the best Christmas light displays in your neighbourhood, go to christmaslightsearch.com.au and enter your postcode in the search bar.
As at 11 December 2018, the top 10 voted Christmas lights in Canberra are:
- 32 Elia Ware Crescent, Bonner (raising funds for Legacy Australia)
- 4 Stacy Street, Gowrie (raising funds for Multiple Sclerosis)
- 17 Delma View, Gungahlin (raising funds for Dainere’s Rainbow Brain Tumour Research Fund)
- 22 Fingleton Crescent, Gordon (raising funds for Prader-Willi Research Foundation of Australia)
- 1 Richter Close, Fadden
- 13 Ruthven Street, Gowrie (raising funds on Saturday and Sunday nights for MS Society)
- 16 Stacy Street, Gowrie
- 51 Tipiloura Street, Ngunnawal
- 1 Eaglemont Retreat Conder
- 26 Stanfield Close, Kambah