Anyone in the ACT who visited the Batemans Bay Soldiers Club on 13 July and 15-17 July will be required to self-isolate from midday today once a new Public Health Direction takes effect, following a COVID-19 outbreak at the venue.
ACT Chief Health Officer Dr Kerryn Coleman told ABC Radio Canberra this morning at least 60 Canberrans are currently self-quarantining as the Territory looks to stave off more cases of COVID-19 crossing the border into Canberra.
“This is probably the biggest risk to Canberra of us importing a case that we have, and the biggest chance we have of getting on top of it is having someone already in quarantine,” she said.
“We have been contact tracing people who we are aware of who have been at Batemans Bay and the Soldiers Club, and there are quite a few people who have been calling in.”
Anyone who attended the Batemans Bay Soldiers Club over those dates last week, during school holidays, have been advised to “immediately” go into self-quarantine regardless of whether they’ve got symptoms.
This announcement from the ACT Chief Health Officer follows NSW Health issuing an urgent COVID-19 warning for people who attended the Batemans Bay Soldiers Club on those dates.
NSW Health have led the response to this particular outbreak, having identified at least eight confirmed cases.
They have provided ACT Health with relevant contact details they acquired from the Soldiers Club.
“I would say for every one person on the list who we identify, there is at least one other person who has come to our awareness through another means,” Dr Coleman said.
“Either they’ve called in, or that person who has attended the club has given us a name.
“We are expecting more information from NSW Health today with those contact tracing lists, but we would really like people to come out and give us a call on the COVID-19 Hotline if they have been at the Soldiers Club at any time on those days (13, 15-17 July).”
The outbreak occurred during ACT school holidays, when the NSW South Coast saw an influx of Canberrans getting away, many for their first trip since COVID-19 restrictions came into effect in March.
With children returning to ACT schools today, Dr Coleman reminded people returning from interstate holidays to pay special attention to ACT Health advice.
“This is especially important for people who been in NSW, as the situation there is rapidly evolving.”
The venue is added to the growing list of NSW locations requiring those in ACT to self-quarantine.
In addition, anyone who attended the BIG4 Batemans Bay East Caravan Park on Monday 13 July and Tuesday 14 July was advised to monitor their health closely and if any symptoms of COVID-19 develop, self-isolate and get a COVID-19 test.
For those who have recently travelled into NSW, stay up to date on the latest advice from NSW via the NSW Health website.
The latest advice surrounding COVID-19 in the ACT is available at covid19.act.gov.au