In keeping with this week’s Bake For Babies theme, food writer Libby Kimber shares two recipes so you can get your bake on this week. Check out our cover story ‘Raise some dough and Bake for Babies‘ and pre-heat the oven for a good cause.
Matcha cream puffs
Serves: 4-6 | Cook: 30 mins
- 250ml water
- 6g salt
- 100g butter or margarine
- 150g gluten free flour mix
- 5–6 eggs
- 100g single cream
- 200g mascarpone cheese
- 15g sugar
- 15g matcha powder
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Combine the water, salt and butter or margarine in a saucepan and bring to the boil. When the butter has melted, add the flour mix to the boiling butter mixture and quickly mix with a spatula until the mixture is well combined and comes away easily from the side of the pan. Pour into a mixing bowl and add the eggs, mixing with the spatula until smooth. Spoon the dough into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle.
- Pipe small balls of choux onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 30 minutes. Let the balls cool before cutting off the top third of each puff.
- Make the matcha cream: whisk the well-chilled cream with the mascarpone until light and airy, then add the combined sugar and matcha powder. Spoon the cream into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm star nozzle and pipe into the choux. Replace the lids and dust with icing sugar.
Image and text from Gloriously Gluten Free by Frederique Jules, Murdoch Books, RRP $35.
Ice cream cone cupcakes
- 125g butter, diced and softened
- 3/4 cup CSR Caster Sugar
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 22 ice-cream cones
- 150g butter, diced and softened
- 250g CSR vanilla buttercream icing mixture
- 3 tsp water
- Red food colouring
- Flake chocolates, to decorate
- Coloured sprinkles, to decorate
- Pre-heat oven to 170°C fan-forced. Place ice-cream cones into muffin pans.
- Place butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer, beating until pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Mix in vanilla extract.
- Fold in flours and milk alternately until all combined and mixture is smooth. Spoon mixture between ice-cream cones and bake for 18-20 minutes until just golden. Remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the Icing, place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with electric beaters until soft and creamy. Gradually add icing mix and water until mix is smooth. Divide mixture in half and add drops of red food colouring to one bowl, mixing until desired colour is reached.
- Transfer the now pink buttercream to a piping bag with a large star nozzle, and pipe onto half of the cupcakes. Use remaining vanilla buttercream icing to pipe onto the rest of the cupcakes. Decorate with pieces of flake and coloured sprinkles.
Recipe and image courtesy of CSR Sugar | csrsugar.com.au