Assistive Technology Australia (ATA) will be hosting a series of events and activities in Canberra next week to help locals with disability, seniors and carers thrive.
After a strong and repeated calls for its return, ATA hosted a pop-up clinic in February this year at the University of Canberra which saw bookings fill up immediately.
ATA CEO Robyn Chapman said that assistive technology is vital for “for the thousands of our older residents and people with a disability in our community”.
“At our pop-up clinic in February, we received overwhelming feedback from Canberra residents and those in surrounding areas expressing their relief that they could access our impartial and independent advice to support their needs.
“With attendees travelling from as far away as Cootamundra, we know a permanent ATA presence is in demand.”
According to ATA, with the reluctant closure of their ACT Independent Living Centre several years ago due to funding cuts, Canberra residents and people in surrounding regions have made repeated calls for access to independent assistive technology advice close to home.
“Our pop-up clinics, held in partnership with the University of Canberra, allow people across the region to have some access to improved support for their assistive technology needs,” Ms Chapman said.
“We know this is not enough. That’s why we’re working with the community to identify their needs and work out ways to be in Canberra for the long-term.
“We’re grateful to the UC for supporting us to have regular outreach for the ACT via pop-up clinics.”
The events will be running from 20 to 23 April and include:
- Pop-Up Clinic: Tuesday 20 April 9am-4pm, UC Health Hub
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) Users Town Hall: Tuesday 20 April 10am-12pm,Belconnen Community Centre
- Making my Bathroom Safer seminar: Wednesday 21 April 9.30-10.30am, UC Health Hub (for people with Parkinson’s Disease and other neurological conditions)
- Assistive Technology in Aged Care information session: Thursday 22 April 9.30-11am, Griffin Centre (for service providers)
- Legislative Assembly Pop-Up ATA Showcase: Friday 23 April (invitation only event hosted by Shadow Minister for Seniors, Nicole Lawder).
For more information, visit https://at-aust.org/