The Public Health Emergency in the ACT has once again been extended for 90 days, until 16 August, ACT Health Minister Rachel Stephen-Smith announced today.
Ms Stephen-Smith said the decision to further extend the period is based on the ongoing risk COVID-19 presents to the community. It will allow the Chief Health Officer to continue to give public health directions in response to any future COVID-19 outbreaks across the country.
In a Territory-first, a Public Health Emergency was declared in the ACT on 16 March last year in response to the coronavirus pandemic. It has remained in place ever since, having been extended several times.
“As more Canberrans become eligible for a COVID-19 vaccination, our focus will be on increasing capacity and improving operations for the vaccine rollout,” Ms Stephen-Smith said in a statement on Tuesday.
“As restrictions continue to ease across the country and with more people travelling, we must not be complacent.”
She urged Canberrans to practise COVID-safe behaviours despite the continuation of the vaccine rollout nationwide.
“Keep your physical distance where possible, practise good hand hygiene, stay home if you are unwell and get tested for any COVID-19 symptoms.”
The ACT Government has a dedicated COVID-19 website: covid-19.act.gov.au
For more news: