A well-chosen rug has the power to fully resolve a room and pull together many of the other decorating elements – the palette, furniture styles, mood, even the composition of space.
For those looking for their dream rug, Carpet Court has just launched a customisable rug range service featuring six pile styles and 18 colours. Prices start from $2,820 (2m x 3m size).
So how do you find the right rug for your space? Heather Nette King, interior stylist and Carpet Court style ambassador, shares her five top tips:
1. Size: To help you determine the right sized rug for your space, first measure the area. It’s best to have furniture approximately 15cm in from the edge of the rug.
2. Colour: Consider your existing colour scheme. For highly textured interiors, turn to creams and pale neutrals. For contemporary interiors, look to deep charcoals to add ambience.
3. Shape: Use the shape of a rug to elevate the space. Use a rectangular rug under long dining tables or hallways, and a circular rug under round tables.
4. Style: Choose a comforting pile style for the bedroom and tighter, more robust styles for high traffic areas such as a living room.
5. Edges: Fabric edges on rugs work best in spaces where it is serving a defined purpose, such as a hallway, or underneath a bed. A concealed edge on a rug works in a large, open-plan area.
For more like this article: